"Perspective View of the Province
Building from the N. E."
Halifax, ca. 1819. Etching with aquatint, finished with watercolour, by John Elliott Woolford.
Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
(Click image to enlarge)
|The Province Building was erected between 1811 and 1819. When Louisa visited the Beamishes, she would have had the chance to observe its progress. The young woman in the foreground is walking very near the intersection of Hollis and George Streets. The view before her would be much the same as that depicted 15 years later in Eagar's "Market Wharf and Ferry Landing, Halifax.|