On 1 Dec. 1885, Robert Settle Jr. and John Kuhn sold for 300 dollars about 14 acres in the very southwest corner of their property to Robert's brother Judson Settle, a blacksmith. (Bk. 325, p.112) He in turn sold a small, triangular piece of his property to Donald McKay. The remaining 274 acres was divided into two equal portions, each containing 137 acres. The northern portion was designated "John Kuhn," and the southern portion, "Robert Settle." (See Plan A9 )
Though all four lots were part of the original ColinGrove estate, the site of Robert Collins', and after him Stephen Collins', farmhouse would be in John Kuhn's 137 acre portion. The plan shows a road, called "J. Kuhn's Road," running fran the Cole Harbour Road to Kuhn's south boundary. This was a right-of-way, through Robert Settle Jr.'s property, guaranteed to Kuhn in a deed made 1 Dec. 1885 (Bk. 265, p. 286). In that deed, it is called the "Green Road"--which road is evidently the same road that is shown in Collyer's map of 1808 (see Plan A4 ) and in the "Part of Dartmouth" map of ca. 1820 (see Plan A6 ) as leading from the Cole Harbour Road (at a point just east of the brook) to the Colin Grove farmhouse. The plan of 1885 snows the road stopping at Kuhn's south boundary. This is evidently because the surveyor was interested in the road only as right-of-way. In fact, the road continued beyond that point, about half way to the broken line running north and south (in 1885 plan) to where, at the foot of a ridge also running north and south, it turned abruptly north and made a more gradual ascent of the ridge by cutting across the face of it-than it otherwise could have made by meeting it straight on. This abrupt turn at the end of the road where it ascends the ridge can be seen in Collyer's map of 1808 , in Hopkins' map of 1886 (see Plan A10 ), in the Dept. of Mines' Geological Survey map of 1908 (see Plan A11 ), and in a composite air photo taken on 28 July 1945 (see Plan A12 ). (A remnant of the road, its bottom half, can be seen in a map made as recently as 1972 by the Dept. of Energy, Mines and Resources-see Plan A13 .)
As the road (evidently also what Louisa Collins in her diary calls the "avenue") reached the top, it turned right, and there, probably not two hundred feet beyond, stood the Collins house with its barns and outbuildings-on a long narrow shelf of land, evidently very good for farming, itself perched one third the way up the large elevation known as Breakheart Hill.
As has been said ( see under item 15 above ) the Collins house was completely destroyed by fire in 1827. It seems the family didn't build on that site again, Stephen and his remaining children having taken up residence at Brook House where be lived out his days. It seems that Hood Clifford didn't build on that site either, it being very likely that by the time Stephen Collins died in 1831, Clifford had already built a house for himself and his new bride on his original 160 acre purchase, the house probably located where the plan of 1885 shows Robert Settle's house-which is about where Church's Map of 1865 locates Clifford's house (see Plan A8 ).
It seems likely that no house was built at the site of the 1827 fire until some time after 1873 (i.e., after Robert Settle Jr. and John Kuhn had purchased the Clifford Farm) and before 30 Nov. 1885, the date of the plan of the division of the Clifford Farm-which plan seems to indicate a house on Kuhn's property. From this plan, the Kuhn house seems to be just about where the Collins house had stood (cf. Collyer, 1808 ; and "Part of Dartmouth," ca. 1820 ); but the Dept. of Mines map of 1908 suggests that Kuhn's house was a bit east of the Collins' house site, though Hopkins' map of 1886 appears to agree with the 1885 plan.
Within the last 20 or 30 years, the land that used to be Colin Grove has been the scene of feverish house-building activity. Today it is completely covered by several residential subdivisions. With the old rustic landmarks obliterated by the building boom, it isn't immediately apparent exactly where things used to be. Fortunately, other landmarks are not so easily removed-like the brook that passes under the Cole Harbour Road (now Portland St.) and the ridge across the face of which Louisa's "avenue" ascended to the Collins house. And even though a man-made change on the rural landscape-like the avenue--may all but pass out of existence, the memory of its relative position may be retained on paper for years to come.
For identifying the present location of the Collins house site, the 1972 Dept. of Energy, Mines, and Resources map is particularly helpful because it shows the land once marked off by the boundaries of Colin Grove in a very telling state of transition. The first three-quarters of Louisa's avenue (the vestige of it) can be seen running across an open, still undeveloped field. By extending the line of that road into the (at the time) recently developed Ellenvale subdivision, one can determine pretty accurately where the original avenue would have ended. In fact, it would have passed only a few tens of feet south and east of where Anderson Street makes a right-angle turn, would have continued to a point-between that corner and Grandview Drive-where the land starts to rise sharply, and then would have turned abruptly north and cut across the face of the ridge upon which Grandview sits. As the slope between Anderson St. (the north-south section) and Grandview is still relatively untamed, signs where the old avenue ascended the ridge still seem to be in evidence. It appears that the old avenue would have reached the top just about in the back yard of No. 19 Grandview and then turned east toward the ColinGrove homestead.
As is evident in the "Part of Dartmouth" map of ca. 1820 , the Collins house, in addition to being approached by the avenue, could also be approached by a path leading from the Old Preston Road on the north and by another path leading from the Cole Harbour Road part way up Breakheart Hill on the south. The path from the Old Preston Road is indicated on a very old plan (see Plan A3 ). The plan shows "Floyers Purchase" and "Snellings Purchase," both of which lots formed Robert Collins' north bound (Snelling's land, a few years later, became Brinley's). The plan can be dated as around 14 Aug. 1786, the date both purchases were made. Running just inside the boundary between Floyer and Snelling, on the Snelling, or east, side of the line is a path designated "Collins Path." As the Old Preston Road was at this time no more than about a year old; and as access to it by "Collins Path" would have been over very level ground; and as the Collins house stood remarkably far back from the road on which the estate fronted (the Cole Harbour Rd.) and surprisingly close to its own north boundary--it seems logical to assume that the original approach to Colin Grove was by this "Collins Path."
The broken line in the 1885 plan is very likely the joining together of the north and south approaches to ColinGrove as shown in the "Part of Dartmouth" map of ca. 1820 . What suggests this, is the way this broken line meets the north bound of Kuhn's land just to the east of the line that divides "Toben" from his neighbour to the east.